Medical (or Health Care) Interpreting is a collaborative rather than adversarial environment. Everyone in the room has the same goals — defining a medical situation and resolving a health problem.
We no longer offer a Medical Interpreting Certificate in British Columbia. However, we do continue to offer such Medical courses as are required for the Paralegal and Court Interpreting certificates, and for the "Health Care Enhancement" to our Community Interpreting Certificate.
The "Health Care Enhancement" consists of three courses:
• 203 - Introduction to Health Care Interpreting,
• 211 - Interpreting in the Doctor's Office and
• 213 - Interpreting in Hospitals for a total of about 37 additional hours.
These three courses cover institutional matters by way of an introduction to the various aspects of the health care system and professional matters such as some of the business, ethical and legal aspects of the responsibility you will be assuming, and an introduction to anatomy and medical terminology. The two tutorials provide bilingual training in consecutive interpreting and sight translation using medical scenarios and terminologies. The Community Interpreting Certificate with this enhancement represents about 117 hours of instruction.
The tutorial training is exclusively in consecutive interpreting and sight translation using medical scenarios and terminologies. While simultaneous interpreting is essential for court and conference interpreting, it is disruptive and counter-productive in health care environments.
For students not interested in Community Interpreting we offer a "Pre-Med Mini-Program" comprised of course 101 Basics of Interpreting and courses 203, 211 and 213 for a total of about 61 hours of instruction.
Students will receive a Statement of Completion for each course attended but there is no additional written or oral exam on the medical courses.
Completion, Exam, Certificate
- A statement of Completion issued for each course.
- The exams and certificates below are not available in British Columbia.
- A final exam will be offered upon the completion of all courses. This is a modern exam created by us solely for this program. There is a fee for the exam.
- A "Certificate in Health Care Interpreting" will be granted to students who have passed all requirements and the final exam (with a score of at least 70% on all components).